New England Motorsports  

Go Back   New England Motorsports > NEMS Automotive Forums > Main Forum

Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
RamSport

NH Vehicle without a title in MA?

Hey I am curious if anyone has done this. Not looking to hear any stories of what you think works, specifically want to know if someone has done this:

Looking at buy a 1993 model year car in New Hampshire. The car does not have a title because it was last transferred in New Hampshire in 2009 so the title is no longer available.

The owner claims with the bill of sale and current registration I can register it in Mass and they will issue a title per usual.

Has anyone actually done this? If so what exactly did the process involve.
RamSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
firebirdjosh
ヽ( ゚ヮ・)ノ

I did this from CT to MA so it should be the same. All that I needed was a current registration, they didn't even ask for a bill of sale. Went to my insurance agent and she took care of all the leg work. I don't think there was a conversion fee, just the usual fee ($50 maybe?) to issue a title in your name.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
capriman86
Finally haz powahhh

This is the same in RI, no titles after 10 years. BOS and registration is all you need to reg in MA.
(Mrs DD)
My Rides - Past and Present --- My FQuick Garage
capriman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
gtmustang00

Bill of Sale and registration is all you will need. Nh doesn't title cars 15years old or older.

89 mustang gt, SBF Twin Turbo.
gtmustang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
trailturbo

Look up the law. If NH is a non titling state meaning they dont issue titles past a certain age of car, then you just need the last registration to the car and a bill of sale. I know specifically RI is 10 years older, no title.
trailturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
trailturbo

Next time, search. Took me a whole 5 seconds

http://www.ehow.com/list_6085359_veh...ampshire_.html

Vehicles That Must Have Titles:

"Under New Hampshire law not every vehicle must have a title. You are only required to have a title if the vehicle is 15 years old or less"
trailturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
firebirdjosh
ヽ( ゚ヮ・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailturbo View Post
Next time, search. Took me a whole 5 seconds

http://www.ehow.com/list_6085359_veh...ampshire_.html

Vehicles That Must Have Titles:

"Under New Hampshire law not every vehicle must have a title. You are only required to have a title if the vehicle is 15 years old or less"
What does NH's titling laws have to do with registering an out-of-state vehicle in MA?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
capriman86
Finally haz powahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdjosh View Post
What does NH's titling laws have to do with registering an out-of-state vehicle in MA?

Because the OP is looking to buy a 1993 car from NH????

Kenny is stating that 15yrs and older in NH you do not have a title so then that means you only need the registration and BOS to register it in MA if its over 15yrs old.

What are you not getting ?
(Mrs DD)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
firebirdjosh
ヽ( ゚ヮ・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriman86 View Post
Because the OP is looking to buy a 1993 car from NH????

Kenny is stating that 15yrs and older in NH you do not have a title so then that means you only need the registration and BOS to register it in MA if its over 15yrs old.

What are you not getting ?
What are you not getting? The reason the guy doesn't have a title is irrelevant to the MA registry and has nothing to do with the process of importing a vehicle to this state.

Why ≠ How
Old 04-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
capriman86
Finally haz powahhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdjosh View Post
What are you not getting? The reason the guy doesn't have a title is irrelevant to the MA registry and has nothing to do with the process of importing a vehicle to this state.

Why ≠ How

The reason the guy doesn't have a title is because it was registered in NH in 2009, this means NH does NOT reissue a title.

The OP wants to know if he buys X vehicle that is a 1993 can he register it in MA with just the Registration (because there is no title) and a BOS.

Answer is YES because NH DOES NOT HAVE TITLES FOR CARS OVER 15yrs old!

Just like if I sold him my 88 Mustang, all he would get in from me is a registration and BOS, and in MA that is ALL you would need as these states DO NOT supply titles for cars over 10 or 15 yrs of age.

I don't get what you are trying to say at all, other states titling laws has everything to do with what MA is going to allow coming into MA.
(Mrs DD)
Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
droptopfox
droptopfox

nh stops titling cars after 15 years im not telling stories i do it many times a year, a nh reg and a bill of sale is just as good as a title ive boughtin cars very cheap with no paper work reg it in nh sell it a month later with nh reg never had a problem
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
greenstang1313

Send a message via AIM to greenstang1313
i did it with a car from rhode island. current registration + bill of sale = MA title
2002 Lincoln LS
greenstang1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
capriman86
Finally haz powahhh

Here it is on the RMV site.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/index.htm

Quote:
To Register and Title Vehicles Purchased from a Non-Dealer:

You must go to a licensed Massachusetts insurance agent to obtain an active insurance policy and have the agent complete, stamp and sign an Application for Registration and Title (RMV-1).

If there is a lien against the vehicle, please make sure the lienholder information is complete and accurate.
The completed RMV-1 must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
A manufacturers Certificate of Origin (new vehicles only), or
The previous owner’s Certificate of Title, Dealer Re-Assignment form if applicable, or
The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age.
Federal and Massachusetts's laws require that the seller(s) state the mileage upon transfer of ownership. Also, both buyer(s) and seller(s) are required to sign and hand print their name and date the transfer document. If the previous title has a space for a sales price, the price must be filled in. If the previous title does not have a space for a sales price, a bill of sale showing the sales price must be submitted.

Take the completed RMV-1 application and supporting documents to the nearest full service RMV center.

The sales tax for a private sale is calculated at 6.25% of the purchase price or the National Automotive Dealer Association (NADA) trade-in value, whichever is higher.

After completing the transaction, you will receive a registration certificate, new plates and a year of expiration decal for the rear plate. The title will be processed and mailed in approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks. If you have a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed directly to your lienholder.
You must obtain a vehicle inspection sticker within seven (7) days of the registration date.
(Mrs DD)
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
RamSport

Just went through the process today with no issues. As mentioned above BOS + Current Registration is all that was needed.

Thanks for the input.
RamSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
T5IROCZ

Hey everyone,

Instead a starting a new thread, i figured i'd post here because it's related.

Came across an awesome car tonight owned by an 87 year old former car dealer. The guy took this car in on trade when it was basically new in the late late 80's and has sat dormant since... has a title signed to his car lot dated 1990. The car lot was shut down in 2003... So, he has a title but its all filled out and dated... don't think it has an old reg... is there a way for me to get a title for this car? Generally, I would have never have persured this because of this issue, but this car is just super unusual, super low mileage, super worth it in my opinion. It's a 1990.

Thanks for any input,
Erik
-87 IROC-Z, L98, 11K MILES, SURVIVOR
-90 C4 VETTE COUPE, 6-SPEED SHOWCAR
-11 SILVERADO 6.2L 403 HP 4X4
-08 TRAILBLAZER SS 6.0L 395 HP AWD
T5IROCZ is offline   Reply With Quote